Your kids are invited to join us for the fourth-annual ArtLab, a one-of-a-kind adventure into kid fun and individual creativity led by Mitch Pengra (a 17-year veteran art teacher) and Thedra Cullar-Ledford (local artist and owner of Independence Art Studios.)
Projects this year will include:
- inflatable sculpture
- succulent mini-fairy castles
- performance-based video making
- ceramics (we have a kiln!)
- stop-motion animation
- building and installing a crashed alien spacecraft
- fabricating soft sculpture personal dolls
- painting on canvas using very unconventional methods
- photography and art-book creation
- beading and jewelry making
- Just for fun, there’s also bubble blowing, water fun, pancake days, chickens, foosball, outdoor games, hula-hooping, painting, drawing, sketching, design fundamentals, teamwork, icees and more!
Programs are led by Thedra Cullar-Ledford and Mitch Pengra with help from visiting artists including Patrick Renner, Lana Grove, Jan Johnson, and Mark Ponder.
Dates: June 2 – 20, 2014
Location: Independence Art Studios, 419 Janisch Road 77018 (map) in the Garden Oaks area.
Program fee: $300 per week. Extended day: $100/week. Compared to other programs in the area, we do more exciting projects at a lower cost. (Sorry, no daily rates available.)
Supply fee: $50/child, regardless of number of weeks enrolled
Hours: Camp is from 9 a.m. − 2 p.m. with extended day available until 5 p.m.
Ages: kids ages 8−13
Enrollment Cap: since we customize the experience to match and expand each child’s abilities, interests and experience, we can accept no more than 30 campers. We divide up into small groups that allow us to offer a high teacher-to-student ratio so that no student loses interest while they’re waiting for help.
Registration: Complete this registration form. See info at the bottom of the form for payment options. Minimum registration is for two consecutive weeks, though the kids get more out of the experience by participating in all three weeks because each week builds on the work done in the previous one.
More information: E-mail or call Thedra at 646-269-4132